Anomalous origin of the left coronary artery with origin in the right coronary artery from a single coronary ostium associated with multivessel coronary artery disease: case report and literature review

Authors

  • Jovany Castro-Lara Department of Internal Medicine, Regional General Hospital No. 1 “Ignacio García Téllez” IMSS, Facultad de Medicina-Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán, Mérida, Yucatán, México https://orcid.org/0009-0007-9351-2804
  • Sara S. Herrera-Lemus Department of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Imaging, High Specialty Medical Unit, National Medical Center “Ignacio García Téllez” IMSS, Mérida, Yucatán, México https://orcid.org/0009-0000-1506-1998
  • Sandra Sánchez-Cassio Department of Cardiology, Regional General Hospital No. 1 “Ignacio García Tellez” IMSS, Mérida, Yucatán, México https://orcid.org/0009-0000-6391-3083
  • Manuel A. Vera-Fuentes Department of Cardiology, High Specialty Medical Unit, National Medical Center “Ignacio García Téllez” IMSS, Mérida, Yucatán, México
  • Marco G. Vivas-Baizabal Department of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Imaging, High Specialty Medical Unit, National Medical Center “Ignacio García Téllez” IMSS, Mérida, Yucatán, México
  • Erick G. Andrade-Torres Department of Cardiology, High Specialty Medical Unit, National Medical Center “Ignacio García Téllez” IMSS, Mérida, Yucatán, México https://orcid.org/0009-0003-8930-0519

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20240313

Keywords:

Anomalous LCA, Coronary anomalies, Coronary artery disease

Abstract

The anomalous origin of the coronary arteries is a group of rare congenital heart conditions in which there has been an increase in its diagnosis thanks to more accessible and less invasive imaging techniques such as coronary angiotomography, which allows visualization of the arteries in its entire path in a short exploration interval, with adequate spatial and temporal resolution. The clinical presentation is variable, up to 80% are asymptomatic and the remaining 20% may present arrhythmias, myocardial infarction, heart failure and sudden death. We present the case of a patient with unstable angina in whom an anomalous origin of the left coronary artery (LCA) with origin in the right coronary artery (RCA) from a single coronary ostium associated with multivessel coronary artery disease was diagnosed.

References

Gentile F, Castiglione V, De Caterina R. Coronary Artery Anomalies. Circulation. 2021;144(12):983-96.

Keswani AN, Dann K, Ramee S. Anomalous Right Coronary Artery: A Case Report. Ochsner J. 2014;14(2).

Carter YM, Wehrle CJ, Mahajan K. Anatomy, Thorax, Heart Anomalous Left Coronary Artery. In: StatPearls. StatPearls Publishing. 2023.

Kilic A, Kilic A, Sultan I. Anomalous Origin of the Left Main Coronary Artery from the Right Coronary Artery. Circ: Cardiovascular Imaging. 2018;11(12):e008452.

Martínez-Cano CA, Aguilar-Arias A, Arango-Rivas AM, Baena-Gómez C. Origen «maligno» de arteria coronaria izquierda, reporte de caso. Arch Cardiol Mex. 2021;92(1):6303.

Balaguer-Malfagón JR, Estornell-Erill J, Vilar-Herrero JV, Pomar-Domingo F, Federico-Zaragoza P, Payá-Serrano R. Anomalous Left Coronary Artery from the Right Sinus of Valsalva Associated With Coronary Atheromatosis. Rev Esp Cardiol. 2005;58(11):1351-4.

Shtembari J, Shrestha DB, Oli PR, Munagala A, Mullaj E, Shehata K et al. Anomalous Origin of the Left Coronary Artery From the Right Coronary Cusp: A Case Report. Cureus. 2023;15(3):e35711.

Coceani M, Ciardetti M, Pasanisi E, Schlueter M, Palmieri C, Neglia D et al. Surgical Correction of Left Coronary Artery Origin From the Right Coronary Artery. Ann Thoracic Surg. 2013;95(1):e1-2.

Lee JH, Park JS. Successful percutaneous coronary intervention in the setting of an aberrant left coronary artery arising from the right coronary cusp in a patient with acute coronary syndrome: a case report. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2017;17(1):186.

Yildiz O, Karabay KO, Akman C, Aytekin V. Anomalous Origin of the Left Main Coronary Artery from the Right Coronary Artery with a Preaortic Course. Texas Heart Institute J. 2015;42(3):243-5.

Tanrivermis Sayit A, Celenk V, Celenk C. Anomalous origin of the left coronary artery from the right coronary artery with trans-septal course: a rare case report. Coronary Artery Dis. 2021;32(4):356-8.

Downloads

Published

2024-02-08

How to Cite

Castro-Lara, J., Herrera-Lemus, S. S., Sánchez-Cassio, S., Vera-Fuentes, M. A., Vivas-Baizabal, M. G., & Andrade-Torres, E. G. (2024). Anomalous origin of the left coronary artery with origin in the right coronary artery from a single coronary ostium associated with multivessel coronary artery disease: case report and literature review. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, 12(3), 935–938. https://doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20240313

Issue

Section

Case Reports