Cadaveric study: study of lateral circumflex femoral arterial origin in Rajkot

Pradip Rameshbhai Chauhan, Khima P. Dangar, Ashish J. Rathwa, Monika A. Adhvaryu, Alpa P. Chauhan, Suresh P. Rathod

Abstract


Background: Lateral circumflex femoral artery contributes cruciate, trochanteric and knee joint anastomosis. In addition Lateral circumflex femoral artery flaps are used for the reconstruction of large tissue loss in the head and neck region, aortopopliteal bypass, coronary artery bypass grafting and extracranial intracranial bypass surgery. This work was carried out (a) to study the origin of lateral circumflex femoral artery and (b) to measure and compare (between male and female) the circumference at its origin.

Methods: In this cross sectional study, 51 femoral triangles from 26 (18 male and 08 female) human adult cadavers were dissected and studied at P.D.U. government medical college, Rajkot, Gujarat. Site of origin of lateral circumflex femoral artery was identified and noted. The distance of origin of the artery from the origin of profunda femoris artery was measured and noted. Circumference at the level of origin was measured and diameter was calculated. Collected data was analysed by standard statistical formulas with the help of Microsoft excel 2013 and Epi info 7TM software.

Results: 90.19% lateral circumflex femoral arteries originated from the profunda femoris artery and remaining 9.81% from the femoral artery. The mean distance of origin of the artery from the origin of profunda femoris artery was 18.44 mm. Lateral circumflex femoral artery circumference and diameter were significantly different between male and female (95% confidence interval, P <0.05).

Conclusion: In this presented study maximum distance of origin of the artery from the origin was 65 mm while minimum distance of origin was 6 mm. In addition difference in circumference of the artery was statistically significant.

 


Keywords


Lateral circumflex femoral artery, Profunda femoris artery, Femoral artery, circumference, Diameter

Full Text:

PDF

References


Mahadevan V. Pelvic girdle, gluteal region and thigh. In: Standering S, eds. Gray’s Anatomy, The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 40th ed. India: Elsevier; 2008: 1378-1379.

Fernandes R, Lee J. Use of the lateral circumflex femoral artery perforator flap in the reconstruction of gunshot wounds to the face. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007;65(10):1990-7.

Valdatta L, Tuinder S, Buoro M, Thione A, Faga A, Putz R. Lateral circumflex femoral arterial system and perforators of the anterolateral thigh flap: an anatomic study. Ann Plast Surg. 2002;49:145-50.

Gradman WS. Bypass to the lateral circumflex femoral artery. Ann Vasc Surg. 1992;6:344-6.

Sugawara Y, Sato O, Miyata T, Kimura H, Namba T, Makuuchi M. Utilization of the lateral circumflex femoral artery as a midway outflow for aortopopliteal grafting: report of a case. Surg Today. 1998;28:967-70.

Fukuda H, Ashida M, Ishii R, Abe S, Ibukuro. Anatomical variants of the lateral femoral circumflex artery: an angiographic study. Surg Radiol Anat. 2005;27:260-4.

Başkaya MK, Kiehn MW, Ahmed AS, Ateş Ö, Niemann DB. Alternative vascular graft for extracranial-intracranial bypass surgery: descending branch of the lateral circumflex femoral artery. Neurosurg Focus. 2008;24:1-7.

Prakash, Kumari J, Kumar BA, Jose BA, Kumar YS, Singh G. Variations in the origins of the profunda femoris, medial and lateral femoral circumflex arteries: a cadaver study in the Indian population. Roman J Morphol Embryol. 2010;51(1):167-70.

Dixit D, Kubavat DM, Rathod SP, Patel MM, Singel TC. A study of variations in the origin of profunda femoris artery and its circumflex branches. 2011;2(4):1084-9.

Suthar K, Patil D, Mehta C, Patel V, Prajapati B, Bhatt C. Cadaveric study : morphological study of branches of femoral artery in front of thigh. CIBTech J Surg. 2013;2(2):16-22.

Peera SA, Sugavasi R. Morphological study of branches of femoral artery in the femoral triangle- a human cadaveric study. Int J Health Sci Res. 2013;3(12):14-9.

Vaishali PA, Laksami R. A study of profunda femoris artery in cadavers. Int J Cur Res Rev. 2014;6(21):41-6.