DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20170911

Rituximab efficacy in pediatric patients with refractory nephrotic syndrome

Badr A. Alaifan, Ahmed A. Jamjoom, Raghad I. Jamal Aldeen, Mohammad F. Hariri, Raghad F. Hakim, Falih A. Dhahri, Weam A. Murad, Lujain F. Aletani, Abrar A. Bafail, Enas Raml, Sherif M. El Desoki, Osama Y. Safdar

Abstract


Background: Nephrotic syndrome (NS) in children is a disease of glomerular filtration barrier failure, manifesting with severe proteinuria leading to hypoalbuminemia, hypercholesterolemia, and generalized edema. it could be primary or secondary. In primary NS, also known as idiopathic NS, the histological findings of Primary NS include minimal change disease which mainly respond to steroids (steroid sensitive NS), focal segmental glomerulosclerosis which are usually steroid resistant or membranous nephropathy. Rituximab has been shown to be effective for patients with complicated FRNS/SDNS and refractory SRNS. While the incidence of nephrotic syndrome (NS) is increasing, the morbidity of difficult-to-treat NS is significant.

Methods: This is a retrospective cohort study that took place in King Abdulaziz University Hospital from 2012 to 2016. Patients included: Any patient under 18 years, and diagnosed with steroid resistant and dependent nephrotic syndrome. Patients excluded: Any patient above 18 years, and known to have secondary Nephrotic Syndrome.

Results: Present study consists of 24 children with nephrotic syndrome (NS) were recruited in the study. In the population 8 patients (33.33 %) were diagnosed with SDNS, while the other 16 patients (66.67%) were diagnosed SRNS. Also, patients who were treated with Rituximab we found that (the mean) number of relapses per year before rituximab was about 2.67±1.49 (standard deviation 1.49), while patient who relapsed after rituximab was about 1.09±1.38 (standard deviation 1.38).

Conclusions: Rituximab is a biological agent that started to be widely used in difficult nephrotic syndrome cases. The effectiveness of rituximab is most observed in steroid depended nephrotic syndrome patients since it decreases the frequency of relapses and steroid dependency. However, it has been shown that it is less effective in steroid resistant nephrotic syndrome cases and was associated with significant numbers of relapses.

Keywords


Nephrotic syndrome, Rituximab

Full Text:

PDF

References


Iijima, Kazumoto, Sako M, Nozu K. Rituximab for nephrotic syndrome in children. Clin Exp Nephrol. (2016):1-10.

Niu XL, Hao S, Wang P, Zhang W, Guo GM, Wu Y. Single dose of rituximab in children with steroid-dependent minimal change nephrotic syndrome. Biomed Rep. 2016;5(2):237-42.

Safdar OY, Aboualhameael A, Kari JA. Rituximab for troublesome cases of childhood nephrotic syndrome. World J Clin Pediatrv. 2014;3(4)69-75.

Iijima K, Sako M, Nozu K, Mori R, Tuchida N, Kamei K, et al. Rituximab for childhood-onset, complicated, frequently relapsing nephrotic syndrome or steroid-dependent nephrotic syndrome: a multicentre, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2014;384(9950):1273-81.

Horebeek IV, Knops N, Dyck MV, Levtchenko E, Mekahli D. Rituximab in children with steroid-dependent nephrotic syndrome: experience of a tertiary center and review of the literature. Acta Clinica Belgica. 2016:1-9.

Kamei K, Ogura M, Sato M, Sako M, Iijima K, Ito S. Risk factors for relapse and long-term outcome in steroid-dependent nephrotic syndrome treated with rituximab. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31(1), 89-95.

Ravani P, Rossi R, Bonanni A, Quinn RR, Sica F, Bodria M, et al. Rituximab in children with steroid-dependent nephrotic syndrome: a multicenter, open-label, noninferiority, randomized controlled trial. J Am Soc Nephrol 2015;26:1-8.

Sinha A, Bhatia D, Gulati A, Rawat M, Dinda AK, HariP, et al. Efficacy and safety of rituximab in children with difficult-to-treat nephrotic syndrome. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2015;30(1):96-106.

Nakagawa T, Shiratori A, Kawaba Y, Kanda K, Tanaka R. (2016). Efficacy of rituximab therapy against intractable steroid‐resistant nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Int. 2016;58(10):1003-8.

Gulati A, Sinha A, Jordan SC, Hari P, Dinda AK, Sharma S, et al. (2010). Efficacy and safety of treatment with rituximab for difficult steroid-resistant and-dependent nephrotic syndrome: multicentric report. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5(12):2207-12.

Bagga, A, Sinha A, Moudgil A. Rituximab in patients with the steroid-resistant nephrotic syndrome. New England J Med. 2007;356(26):2751-2.

Magnasco A, Ravani P, Edefonti A, Murer L, Ghio L, Belingheri M, et al. (2012). Rituximab in children with resistant idiopathic nephrotic syndrome. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012;23(6):1117-24.