DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20171874

A study of clinical and ophthalmologic profile of patients undergoing cataract surgery

Chhaya Shori, Rakesh Shori, Gannaram Laxmiprasad, Ashalatha Alli

Abstract


Background: Intraocular lens implantation is the only surgical approach available mostly in developing countries. Thus cataract constitutes as the leading cause of blindness in developing countries as many patients with cataract do not have access to hospitals and surgery. Objective was to study the clinical and ophthalmologic profile of patients undergoing cataract surgery.

Methods: A hospital based cross sectional study was carried out among 100 cataract patients assigned to undergo conventional extra capsular cataract excision surgery for a period of two years in a tertiary care referral hospital. One day before the surgery these patients were admitted to the indoor wards of department of ophthalmology. From each patient, detailed history was obtained. Visual acuity was checked with Snellen’s visual acuity chart and pinhole improvement was noted.

Results: Maximum prevalence was seen in the age group of 51-60 years i.e. 37% followed by 61-70 years of 30%. Thus cataract is seen more commonly in the age group of above 50 years. Prevalence of cataract was more in females (59%) as compared to 41% in males. Cortical cataract constituted 86% of total cases and remaining 14% were constituted by nuclear type of cataract. Majority of the patients i.e. 59% had visual acuity of less than 1/60 followed by 33% of having 5/60 to 1/60. 58% of the patients had against the rule type of astigmatism. 34% of the patients had with the rule type of astigmatism. Only 8% had NOA type of astigmatism.

Conclusions: Increasing age and female gender were the most important risk factors in the present study. Cortical type of cataract was more common than nuclear type of cataract. Maximum had low vision.

Keywords


Astigmatism, Cataract, Cortical cataract, Low vision, Nuclear cataract

Full Text:

PDF

References


Ravindran RD, Vashist P, Gupta SK, Young IS, Maraini G, Camparini M, et al. Inverse association of vitamin C with cataract in older people in India. Ophthalmol 2011;118(10):1958-65.

Sundaresan P, Ravindran RD, Vashist P, Shanker A, Nitsch D, Talwar B, et al. EPHA2 polymorphisms and age-related cataract in India. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):e33001.

Vashist P, Talwar B, Gogoi M. Prevalence of cataract in an older population in India. Ophthalmol. 2011;118(2-19):272-8.

Wong TY, Loon SC, Saw SM. The epidemiology of age related eye diseases in Asia. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90(4):506-11.

Murthy GV, Gupta SK, Maraini G. Prevalence of lens opacities in North India: the INDEYE feasibility study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48(1):88-95.

Nirmalan PK, Krishnadas R, Ramaksrishnan R. Lens opacities in a rural population of southern India: the Aravind Comprehensive Eye Study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44(11):4639-43.

Husain R, Tong L, Fong A. Prevalence of cataract in rural Indonesia. Ophthalmol. 2005;112(7):1255-62.

Seah SK, Wong TY, Foster PJ. Prevalence of lens opacity in Chinese residents of Singapore: the tanjongpagar survey. Ophthalmol. 2002;109(11):2058-64.

Xu L, Cui T, Zhang S. Prevalence and risk factors of lens opacities in urban and rural Chinese in Beijing. Ophthalmol. 2006;113(5):747-55.

McCarty CA, Mukesh BN, Fu CL. The epidemiology of cataract in Australia. Am J Ophthalmol. 1999;128(4):446-65.

Lee AJ, Lee J, Saw SM. Prevalence and risk factors associated with dry eye symptoms: a population based study in Indonesia. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002;86(12):1347-51.

Gupta SK, Murthy GV, Morrison N. Prevalence of early and late age-related macular degeneration in a rural population in northern India: the INDEYE feasibility study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48(3):1007-11.

Krishnaiah S, Vilas K, Shamanna BR. Smoking and its association with cataract: results of the Andhra Pradesh eye disease study from India. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46(1):58-65.

Congdon N, Vingerling JR, Klein BE. Prevalence of cataract and pseudophakia/aphakia among adults in the United States. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004;122(4):487-94.

Hsu WM, Cheng CY, Liu JH. Prevalence and causes of visual impairment in an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan: the Shihpai Eye Study. Ophthalmol. 2004;111(1):62-9.

Tsai SY, Hsu WM, Cheng CY, Tsai SY, Chou P. Prevalence and causes of visual impairment in an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan: the Shihpai Eye Study. Ophthalmol. 2003;110(6):1089-95.