Chikungunya infection confirmed in a Moroccan traveller returning from Bangladesh
Keywords:Chikungunya, Imported, RT-PCR, Risk, Morocco
Recently, several countries reported imported cases of infection with chikungunya virus (CHIKV). We report the first case of chikungunya virus infection in Morocco. A 37-year old woman returned to Morocco on 15 August 2017, after she stayed in Dhaka-Bangladesh for 18months. She developed severe arthralgias and rash, fever up to 39°c. In next day’s symptoms progressively subsided but arthralgias remained for 3weeks. Laboratory findings didn't show lymphopenia, thrombocytopenia or elevated liver transaminases. Serological tests were positive for CHIKV IgM and negative for IgG antibodies. CHIKV-RNA was detected by RT-PCR. The patient was treated with non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs and paracetamol. After 15days of hospitalization, symptoms ameliorated but arthralgias persists. The vector is established in Morocco and since the virus is diagnosed in returning travellers, chikungunya has a potential for autochthonous transmission in Morocco, that’s why CHIKV must be included in the differential diagnosis of arthralgia in all travellers returning from countries with documented transmission of the virus.
2. Pialoux G, Gaüzère BA, Jauréguiberry S, Strobel M. Chikungunya, an epidemic arbovirosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2007;7(5):319-27.
3. Sergon K1, Njuguna C, Kalani R, Ofula V, Onyango C, Konongoi LS, et al. Seroprevalence of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) infection on Lamu Island, Kenya, October 2004. Am J Top Med Hyg. 2008;78(2):333-7.
4. Diop D, Meseznikov G, Sanicas M. Chikungunya Outbreaks from 2000 to 2015: A Review. MOJ Public Health. 2015;2(6):00043.
5. Icddr B. First identified outbreak of chikungunya in Bangladesh, 2008. Health Sci Bull. 2009;7:1-6.
6. Khatun S, Chakraborty A, Rahman M, Nasreen Banu N, Rahman MM, Hasan SM, et al. An outbreak of chikungunya in rural Bangladesh, 2011. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015;9(7):e0003907.
7. Hassan R, Rahman MM, Moniruzzaman M, Rahim A, Barua S, Biswas R, et al. Chikungunya-an emerging infection in Bangladesh: a case series. J Med Case Rep. 2014;8:67.
8. Robert Herriman. Dhaka chikungunya outbreak nears 3,0001, Outbreak News today, 2017. Available at http://outbreaknewstoday.com/dhaka- chikungunya-outbreak-nears-3000/. Accessed oct 25, 2017.
9. Bennouna A, Balenghien T, El Rhaffouli H, Schaffner F, Garros C, Gardès L, et al. First record of Stegomyia albopicta (=Aedes albopictus) in Morocco: a major threat to public health in North Africa? Med Vet Entomol. 2017;31(1):102-06.
10. Cabral-Castro MJ, Cavalcanti MG, Peralta RHS, Peralta JM. Molecular and serological techniques to detect co-circulation of DENV, ZIKV and CHIKV in suspected dengue-like syndrome patients. J Clinic Virolog. 2016;82(2016):108-11.
11. WHO. Chikungunya: case definitions for acute, atypical and chronic cases. Conclusions of an expert consultation, Managua, Nicaragua, 2015. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2015;90:410-4.
12. Ross RW. The Newala epidemic. III. The virus: isolation, pathogenic properties and relationship to the epidemic. J Hyg (Lond). 1956;54:177-91.
13. McSweegan E, Weaver SC, Lecuit M, Frieman M, Morrison TE, Hrynkow S. “The global virus network: challenging chikungunya” Antiviral Res. 2015;120:147-152.
14. Tyagi D, Gauri LA, Fatima Q, Khularia R. Study of clinical spectrum of chikungunya of recent outbreak 2010 in western Rajasthan and their 2 years follow up. J Assoc Physicians Ind. 2016;64(1):153-4.
15. Rauf M, Fatima-Tuz-Zahra, Manzoor S, Mehmood A, Bhatti S. Outbreak of chikungunya in Pakistan. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17(3):258.
16. Honório NA, Câmara DC, Calvet GA, Brasil P. Chikungunya: an arbovirus infection in the process of establishment and expansion in Brazil. Cad Saude Publ. 2015;31:906.
17. Icddr B. First identified outbreak of chikungunya in Bangladesh, 2008. Health Sci Bull. 2009;7:1-6.
18. Khatun S, Chakraborty A, Rahman M, Nasreen Banu N, Rahman MM, Hasan SM, et al. An outbreak of chikungunya in rural Bangladesh, 2011. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015;9(7):e0003907.
19. Herriman R, Dhaka chikungunya outbreak nears 3,000, Outbreak News today, 2017. Available at http://outbreaknewstoday.com/dhaka-chikungunya-outbreak-nears-3000/. Accessed oct 25, 2017.
20. WHO. Chikungunya in the WHO european region, Fact-sheet, Copenhagen, WHO Regional Office for Europe. Available at http://www.euro.who.int/__ data/assets/pdf_file/0005/246164/Fact-sheet- Chikungunya-Eng.pdf?ua=1. Accessed oct 25, 2017.
21. Panning M, Grywna K, van Esbroeck M, Emmerich P, Drosten C. Chikungunya fever in travelers returning to Europe from the Indian Ocean region, 2006. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14(3):416-22.
22. Beltrame A, Angheben A, Bisoffi Z, Monteiro G, Marocco S, Calleri G, et al. Imported Chikungunya Infection, Italy. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13(8):1264-6.
23. Hochedez P, Jaureguiberry S, Debruyne M, Bossi P, Hausfater P, Brucker G, et al. Chikungunya infection in travelers. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12(10):1565-7.
24. Nicoletti L, Ciccozzi M, Marchi A, Fiorentini C, Martucci P, D'Ancona F, et al. Chikungunya and dengue viruses in travelers. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14(1):177-8.
25. Bottieau E, Van Esbroeck M, Cnops L, Clerinx J, Van Gompel A. Chikungunya infection confirmed in a Belgian traveller returning from Phuket (Thailand). Euro Surveill. 2009;14(25).
26. Rahim MA, Uddin KN. Chikungunya: an emerging viral infection with varied clinical presentations in Bangladesh: Reports of seven cases, BMC Res Notes. 2017;10:410.
27. Scott C. Weaver, Marc Lecuit, Chikungunya Virus and the Global Spread of a Mosquito-Borne Disease, N Eng J Med. 2015;372:1231-9.
28. Angelini R, Finarelli AC, Angelini P, Po C, Petropulacos K, Macini P, et al. An outbreak of chikungunya fever in the province of Ravenna, Italy. Euro Surveill. 2007;12(9).
29. Delisle E, Rousseau C, Broche B, Leparc-Goffart I, L'Ambert G, Cochet A, et al. Chikungunya outbreak in Montpellier, France, September to October 2014. Euro Surveill. 2015;20(17).pii:21108.