DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20182827

Correlation of status of thyroid antibodies and thyrotropin hormone with prevalence of thyroid autoimmune disease in pregnancy

Shahid A. Mujawar, Vinayak W. Patil, Rekha G. Daver, Sachin H. Mulkutkar

Abstract


Background: Thyroid antibodies alterations were observed because of physiological and immunological changes occurring during pregnancy and after delivery. The aim was to evaluate serum anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies (anti-TPO-Ab), anti-thyroglobulin antibodies (anti-TG-Ab) and total triiodothyronine (total T3), total thyroxine (total T4), thyrotropin hormone (TSH) levels in pregnant women of resident of Western India.

Methods: Samples for 100 pregnant women with no apparent thyroid disorders were analyzed, using enzyme amplified chemiluminescent immune assay detection technology, in order to determine levels of total T3, total T4, TSH, anti-TPO-Ab and anti-TG-Ab in sera sample.

Results: Of these women 24% gave biochemical evidence of hypothyroidism and remaining 76 % subjects were euthyroid in pregnant study group. In study group, 90% had normal values for anti-TPO-Ab and anti-TG-Ab and 10% had results revealing the presence of autoimmune diseases of the thyroid.

Conclusions: n the present study, it was found that the level of anti-TG-Ab was found unaltered but it was found to be detected along with anti-TPO-Ab. These investigations should be performed routinely during pregnancy. Otherwise, lack of appropriate and early diagnosis and treatment can lead to neurological impairment of fetal brain as well as maternal cardiovascular diseases.


Keywords


Thyroid antibodies, Thyroid hormone, Thyroid autoimmune disease

Full Text:

PDF

References


Alexander E, Marqusee E, Lawrence J, Jarolim P, Fischer GA, Larsen PR. Timing and magnitude of increases in levothyroxine requirements during pregnancy in women with hypothyroidism. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:241-9.

Glinoer D, De Nayer P, Bourdoux P, Lemone M, Robyn C, van Steirteghem A, et al. Regulation of maternal thyroid during pregnancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990;71:276-87.

Waldorf KMA, Nelson JL. Autoimmune disease during pregnancy and the microchimerism legacy of pregnancy. Immunol Invest. 2008;37(5):631-44.

Amino N, Kuro R, Tanizawa O, Tanaka F, Hayashi C, Kotani K, et al. Changes of serum anti-thyroid antibodies during and after pregnancy in autoimmune thyroid diseases. Clin exp Immunol. 1978;31:30-7.

Refetoff S. Thyroid function tests. In: DeGroot LJ, editor. Endocrinology, Philadelphia: Grune Stratton. 1979;1:387-428.

Babson AL. The Immulite automated immunoassay system. J Clin immunoassay. 1991;14:83-8.

Wild D. The immunoassay handbook. Great Briton: Stockton press. 1974;342-3.

Schatz H. The diagnostic and prognostic importance antibody against thyroid microsomal and thyroid. Dtsch Med Wschr. 1981;106:308-13.

Pi-Sunyer FX. Medical hazards of obesity. Ann Intern Med. 2000;160:2847-53.

Gayathri R, Lavanya S, Raghavan K. Subclinical Hypothyroidism and Autoimmune Thyroiditis in Pregnancy - A Study in South Indian Subjects. J Asso Phys Ind. 2009;57:691-3.

Kumar A, Gupta N, Nath T, Sharma JB. Sharma S. Thyroid function tests in pregnancy. Ind J Med Sci. 2003;57:252-8.

Volpe R. Autoimmune thyroiditis. In: Braverman LE, Utiger RD, eds. The thyroid. A fundamental and clinical text. Philadelphia, New York, London, Hagerstown: Lippincott;1991:921-33.

Lejeune B, Grun JP, De Nayer PH, Servais G, Glinoer D. Antithyroid antibodies underlying thyroid abnormalities and miscarriage or pregnancy induced hypertension. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1993;100:669-72.

Edelman P. Autoimmunity, fetal losses, and lupus anticoagulants: beginning of systemic lupus erythematosus or new autoimmune entity with gynecological expression? Hum Reprod. 1986;1:295-7.

Prummel MF, Wiersinga WM. Thyroid Autoimmunity and miscarriage. Eur J Endocrinol. 2004;150:751-5.

Glinoer D, Riahi M, Grun JP, Kinthaert J. Risk of subclinical hypothyroidism in pregnant women with asymptomatic autoimmune thyroid disorders. J Clin Endocrinol Meta. 1994;79:197-204.

Stagnaro GA, Glinoer D. Thyroid autoimmunity and risk of miscarriage. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;18:167-81.