DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20192121

Study on clinical profile of hyponatremia in patients admitted to the MIMS in Northern Andhra Pradesh, India

Anand Sankar Sastry, Buridi Praneetha

Abstract


Background: Hyponatremia, most common electrolyte disorder has symptomatology ranging from asymptomatic to being comatose and etiologically from simple G.I. loss to chronic illnesses like CCF, CKD. Very sparse study has been done in this region on clinic-epidemiological profile of hyponatremia. The aims and objective of this study was to find out most common etiology, type, clinical features and outcome in hospitalised hyponatremic patients and to Correlate clinical profile and outcome with etiology, severity and treatment.

Methods: The present observational study was conducted in department of medicine, Maharajah’s Institute of medical sciences, for two months. All patients aged ≥15 years having true hyponatremia were included. Detailed history, examination, relevant investigations including serum and urinary Na were done. Patients were classified to euvolemic, hypervolemic and hypovolemic depending on volume status and proper etiologies were determined in each group.

Results: Of 50 patients included, mean age was 50.12±8.8 years. Hyponatremia was more common in older age group>40 years (P<0.05%). CNS manifestations were more prevalent in patients with Na<125 Meq. (80%) P< 0.05%. Hypervolemic was most common type (50%) followed by hypovolemic (34%) and euvolemic (16%). CKD was the most common cause overall (24%) and also among hypervolemic type (40%).

Conclusions: Hyponatremia was more predominant in elderly age group (P<0.05%). It is more in 40-60 years age group. Hypervolemic type (50%) of hyponatremia is most common type of the hyponatremia and CKD (24%), to be most common cause of the hyponatremia attributed to Uddanam nephropathy in this region.


Keywords


CKD, Hypervolemic, Hyponatremia, Uddanam

Full Text:

PDF

References


Oh MS. Management of hyponatremia and clinical use of vasopressin antagonists. Am J Med Sci. 2007;333(2):101-5.

Montain SJ, Sawka MN, Wenger CB. Hyponatremia associated with exercise: risk factors and pathogenesis. Exercise Sport Scienc Reviews. 2001;29(3):113-7.

Gonc NE, Kandemir N, Sen Y, Yordam N, Hyponatremia can be a presenting finding of multiple pituitary hormone deficiency in children: report of a case and review of literature. Clin Pediatr. 2005;44:623-8.

Bhananker SM, Paek R, Vavilala MS. Water intoxication and symptomatic hyponatremia after outpatient surgery. Anesthes Analges. 2004;98(5):1294-6.

Coenraad MJ, Meinders AE, Vandenbroucke JP, Frölich M, Taal JC, Bolk JH. Causes of hyponatremia in the departments of internal medicine and neurosurgery. European J Int Med. 2003;14(5):302-9.

Douglas I. Hyponatremia: why it matters, how it presents, how we can manage it. Clevel Clinic J Med. 2006;73(3):S4.

Ganguli A. Uddanam nephropathy/regional nephropathy in India: preliminary findings and a plea for further research. Am J Kidney Dis. 2016;68(3):344-8.

Gadde P, Sanikommu S, Manumanthu R, Akkaloori A. Uddanam nephropathy in India: a challenge for epidemiologists. Bull World Health Org. 2017;95(12):848.

Agarwal SM, Agrawal A. A comparative study of the clinico-aetiological profile of hyponatremia at presentation with that developing in the hospital. Indian J Med Res. 2011;134(1):118.

Rahil AI, Khan FY, Al Badri MM. Clinical profile of hyponatraemia in adult patients admitted to Hamad general hospital, Qatar: Experience with 53 Cases. J Clin Diag Res. 2009;3:1419-25.

Tarif N, Sabir O, Niaz A, Akhtar R, Rafique K, Rizvi N. Hyponatraemia: epidemiology and aetiology in a tertiary care centre in Pakistan: J Pak Med Assoc. 2016;66(11):1436-9.

Padma V, Javid SM, Narendran D, Anand K, Karthikeyan D. Study of symptomatic hyponatremia in elderly patients. Int J Pharm Bio Sci. 2016;7:434-0.

Mittal M, Deepshikha KH. Profile of hyponatremia in a tertiary care centre in North India. Int J Adv Med. 2016;3(4):1011-5.