DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20201353

Autopsy findings in sudden death in adults: a study of 150 cases

Rahul A. Modi, Mubin I. Patel, Mandakini M. Patel, Suresh Padsala, Jainisha Chaudhary

Abstract


Background: World Health Organization (WHO) defines sudden death as “deaths within 24 hours from the onset of the symptoms”. It is also defined as death, which is sudden, unexpected, clinically unexplained. Aims of the study was to classify underlying causes of sudden death, to find out risk factors, associated diseases and triggers of sudden deaths in the autopsy specimens received in the Department of Pathology, Government Medical College, South Gujarat.

Methods: A review of autopsies of sudden deaths performed between January 2018 to August 2018 in age group 15-45 years at Department of Pathology, Government Medical College, South Gujarat were done.

Results: A total of 150 cases were studied for sudden deaths during the study. The age ranged from 15 to 45 years. Maximum deaths occurred in the age group between 35-45 years. Males (n=120) were affected more than females (n=30). The cause of deaths in 84 cases (56%) were attributed to cardiac causes and the remaining cases (44%) were due to noncardiac causes like pulmonary diseases (17.3%) followed by hepatobiliary diseases (5.4%), cerebrovascular (2%) and others like suicide by ingestion of poisoning, hanging and asphyxia (9.3%). Major cardiac cause for sudden deaths was Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) (95.2%).

Conclusions: Sudden deaths were common in young adults and most are attributed to a cardiac cause. This study highlights the serious health concern in our society and a necessity to create awareness among the population at risk so that sudden deaths can be averted and life expectancy can be improved.


Keywords


Autopsy, Coronary artery disease, Sudden death

Full Text:

PDF

References


Goldman L, Sayson R, Robbins S, Cohn LH, Bettmann M, Weisberg M. The value of the autopsy in three medical eras. New Eng J Med. 1983 Apr 28;308(17):1000-5.

World Health Organization. International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems: 10th revision (ICD-10). http://www. who. int/classifications/apps/icd/icd. 1992.

Kwok KM, Lee KL, Lau CP, Tse HF. Sudden cardiac death: Prevention and treatment. Hong Kong Med J. 2003;9:357-62.

Edwards BS, Edwards JE. Pathology of sudden cardiac death: an illustrated guide. John Wiley & Sons; 2008 Apr 15.

Sudha ML, Sundaram S, Purushothaman KR, Kumar PS, Prathiba D. Coronary atherosclerosis in sudden cardiac death: An autopsy study. Ind J Pathol Microbiol. 2009 Oct 1;52(4):486.

Owada M, Aizawa Y, Kurihara K, Tanabe N, Aizaki T, Izumi T. Risk factors and triggers of sudden death in the working generation: an autopsy proven case-control study. Tohoku J Exper Med. 1999;189(4):245-58.

Singh AM, Debnath K, Devi SS, Devi PG, Konjengbam R, Nabachandra H. An autopsy case of sudden death in a patient with giant cell myocarditis. Ind J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2003;45(3):195-8.

Sung RJ, Kuo CT, Wu SN, Lai WT, Luqman N, Chan NY. Sudden cardiac death syndrome: age, gender, ethnicity, and genetics. Acta Cardiol Sinica. 2008 Jun 1;24(2):65-74.

Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N. Pathologic basis of disease. In: Robbins and Cotran. The Heart. 7th ed. Elsevier; 2004: 586-587.

Papadakis M, Sharma S, Cox S, Sheppard MN, Panoulas VF, Behr ER. The magnitude of sudden cardiac death in the young: a death certificate-based review in England and Wales. Europace. 2009 Oct 1;11(10):1353-8.

Eckart RE, Scoville SL, Campbell CL, Shry EA, Stajduhar KC, Potter RN, et al. Sudden death in young adults: a 25-year review of autopsies in military recruits. Annal Inter Med. 2004 Dec 7;141(11):829-34.

Drory Y, Turetz Y, Hiss Y, Lev B, Fisman EZ, Pines A, et al. Sudden unexpected death in persons <40 years of age. Am J Cardiol. 1991 Nov 15;68(13):1388-92.

Zheng ZJ, Croft JB, Giles WH, Mensah GA. Sudden cardiac death in the United States, 1989 to 1998. Circulation. 2001 Oct 30;104(18):2158-63.

Adabag AS, Luepker RV, Roger VL, Gersh BJ. Sudden cardiac death: epidemiology and risk factors. Nature Rev Cardiol. 2010 Apr;7(4):216.