DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20203093

Histomorphological analysis and clinical correlation of neoplastic and non neoplastic skin lesions: a study in a tertiary care centre of Western Uttar Pradesh, India

Mithila Bisht, Anjana Arya, B. C. Choudhry

Abstract


Background: Clinical examination may suffice in making diagnosis of most dermatologic disorders but histopathological examination is often required to confirm the diagnosis and further categorize the lesions. Authors carried out this study to analyse the demographic and histomorphological characteristics of skin lesions, to determine the frequency of various dermatological disorders in the region and to evaluate the agreement between clinical and histopathological diagnosis.

Methods: Punch biopsies of skin lesions received in histopathology section, were included in the study. Cases over a period of six months were analysed. Clinical details were recorded and histopathological analysis done. Special stains were applied wherever required.

Results: Of the 120 cases studied, maximum cases fell in the category of 31-40 years, with male predominance.  Authors observed wide variety of non-neoplastic and neoplastic lesions. Infectious diseases were the most common of all pathologies. Leprosy was the most common histopathological diagnosis. Complete clinicopathologic correlation was seen in 51.67% of cases while partial correlation was noted in 23.33% making a total of 75%. 25% histopathological diagnosis were inconsistent with the clinical diagnosis.

Conclusions: Histopathology is a gold standard investigation and plays a very important role in confirmation of clinical diagnosis of various skin lesions. Punch biopsy is a relatively easy outpatient procedure to perform.


Keywords


Histopathology, Punch biopsy, Skin lesions

Full Text:

PDF

References


Elder DE, Murphy GF, Elenitsas R, Johnson BL, Xu X, Editors. Lever’s Histopathology of the skin. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer;2009:1-132.

Gupta R, Singh S, Singh K, Kanodia SK. Clinical and histopathological analysis of skin biopsies at a tertiary care hospital. Med Pulse Int Med J. 2017;4(2):276-81.

Nischal U, Nischal KC, Khopkar U. Techniques of Skin Biopsy and Practical Considerations. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2008;1(2):107-11.

Bancroft JD, Gamble M, Suvarna SK, Editors. Bancroft’s Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques. 7th ed. China: Churchill Livingstone;2013:291-313.

Kumar V, Goswami HM. Spectrum of Non-neoplastic Skin Lesions: A Histopathological Study based on Punch Biopsy. Int J Cur Res Rev. 2018;10(6):43-8.

Reddy R, Krishna N. Histopathological spectrum of non-infectious erythematous, papulo-squamous lesions. Asian Pac J Health Sci. 2014;1(4):28-34.

Bajaj P, Wagachaure SA, Ukey A. Spectrum of Non Neoplastic Skin Diseases: A Histopathology Based Clinicopathological Correlation Study at a Tertiary Health Care Centre. MVPJMS. 2019;6(2):225-30.

Grover S, Ranyal RK, Bedi MK. A cross section of skin diseases in rural Allahabad. Indian J Dermatol. 2008;53(4):179-81.

D’Costa G, Bendale KA, Patil YV. Spectrum of paediatric skin biopsies. Indian J Dermatol. 2007;52(2):111-5.

Vaghela PG, Jha BM. Histomorphological analysis of no neoplastic skin lesions. Int J Med Sci Public Health. 2016;5(4).

Rajput JS, Singh K, Singh S. Clinicopathological study of non neoplastic skin disorder. Med Plus Int Med J. 2014;1(8):367-72.

Narang S, Jain R. An evaluation of histopathological findings of skin biopsies in various skin disorders. APALM. 2015;2(1):42-6.

Grover SC, Bansal R. A systematic histopathological analysis of dermatopathology in western Uttar Pradesh, India: a four year study.2018;20(1):3-9.

D’Costa G, Bharambe BM. Spectrum of non-infectious erythematous, papular and squamous lesions of the skin. Indian J Dermatol. 2010;55(3):225-8.

Aslan C, Goktay F, Mansur AT, Aydingoz IA, Gunes P and Ekmekci TR. Clinicopathological consistency in skin disorders: A retrospective study of 3949 pathological reports. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;66(3):393-400.